|Hi, Guys! It's TRAVEL PICTURES TIME!|
|Here are some OLD Barbados shots...|
The 1910 Bridgetown Fire
"... On Wednesday, July 20, 1910, around noon, lower Bay Street which had suffered severely in 1826 and 1860, was once again subjected to a fiery scourge of major proportions. The fire started in the cooperage of Messrs. Musson, Son, and Co., and had apparently been burning for some considerable time before it was discovered. It quickly spread to the adjacent district called Golden Square, where it speedily wiped out a ;large number of small houses owned by poor folk. Aided by spectators and a group of sanitary workers who had been engaged in hosing down nearby Nelson Street, the Fire Brigade fought stubbornly to bring the flames under control.
After a while, Musson's Bonding Warehouse in Cavan's Lane was also discovered to be ablaze. Unfortunately, owing to some inadequacy in the fire hose, the water could not be brought to bear upon this new fire, and the greater part of the building, with its contents, was destroyed. In the meanwhile, schooners left the Careenage to avoid the risk of catching fire. Fortunately, there were no deaths; but several persons received injuries which had to be treated at the General Hospital.
These two fires were believed to be the work of an arsonist, because two attempts had recently been made to burn down Musson's Sugar Store. The Governor-in-Executive Committee offered a reward of $500 for information leading to the conviction of the person or persons responsible, but no-one was ever caught."
From the book "HISTORIC BRIDGETOWN", by Warren Alleyne
(The photos on this page have been considerably cleaned up and retouched digitally without altering the contents.)
Ruins of Bay Street Stancheon.
Cooperage Yard near Stancheon, Bay
Royal Dutch West India Mail
Steamship Co's Bonding Warehouse during the fire.
Those white specks on the roof of the middle building are are people...
maybe they are trying to stop the fire spreading by watching for sparks?
The City at a critical moment.
It's now one whole building closer to the camera than the photo before...
Ruins of Mussons Stancheon, Bay