[Letter] Please CAL, not the Boeing 737 Max

News about this airline - please include a link to the source as well as the article text itself.
Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caribbean_Airlines
Web site: http://www.caribbean-airlines.com/
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim »

https://newsday.co.tt/2020/12/29/please ... g-737-max/

29 December, 2020

THE EDITOR:

I was alarmed to see yet again a problem with the Boeing 737 Max aircraft. This time it ended well, and the plane was landed safely on one engine.

I am pleading with CAL not to consider this aircraft for our airline. Please do not mess with our great safety record, first with BWIA and now CAL. Our safety record is without blemish. Let us keep it that way.

Leave the 737 Max to perish. We surely have other safe options for aircraft.

RIP procurement legislation 2020.

ANNE DE SILVA

St Joseph
islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Re: [Letter] Please CAL, not the Boeing 737 Max

Unread post by islandflyer »

When the writer touts the 'without blemish' safety record of CAL (including the former BWIA), are they speaking only to crashes?

If so, then the recent engine incident with the Boeing 737Max (I believe an Air Canada aircraft being ferried back to Montreal) - not an engine failure but a procedural shutdown because of warning indicators in the cockpit - can hardly be lumped into the same safety category as a crash. However, lets play the game...

I RECALL for the 737-800's:
  • a runway overrun at GEO in July 2011 that broke the aircraft in three pieces and injured 7 :shock:
    an engine shutdown in-flight near NAS in Nov 2019
    a flap problem on departure out of JFK in Oct 2017
    TWO in-flight cabin pressure issues in May and June 2016
    another flap issue, again in JFK in May 2013
    another flap problem, this time at YYZ in May 2012
    an engine problem near JFK in Aug 2010
I RECALL for the ATR's:
  • No fewer than EIGHT engine fire indications - Jul 2017; May/Sep/Oct & Dec 2016; Oct/Dec 2015, and one in Oct 2012 where an engine panel fell off the damn airplane

So much for the "stellar" safety record.
bimjim
Forum Administrator
Forum Administrator

Unread post by bimjim »

I also remember an over-run issue in MIA at some point with the MD-8X fleet WAY back in the day.

And - just IMHO - the politicians in T&T should not even have entertained the proposal by the then-CEO to swap out the Dash-8s for ATRs, since it was already known that he was acting as an agent for ATR.

But "conflict of interest" seems to play no part whatsoever in Caribbean politricks.

A lesser known fact is that - in Trinidad - ATR was forced to base some of the factory engineers at Piarco for a few YEARS just to keep the ATRs flying. As you say, so much for the "stellar" CAL engineering staff.

Which leads to the SAME "gentleman" leaving CAL to be CEO for LIAT, where he played the same exact trick again - and the shareholder politicians and Board fell for the same con, mainly because not a one of them had even a minor clue about aviation. Well, so it goes in many areas of Caribbean politricks - where there are big bucks to be made, friends and Party faithful come first, qualifications knowledge and experience actually come LAST.
islandflyer
Engineer 4
Engineer 4

Unread post by islandflyer »

All the references are easily found in AvHerald, and I only went back a decade. And clearly don’t include the good old days of BeeWee... the 707 that buried its nose gear through the cockpit floor at BGI, or the A321 that cleaned its backside on the tarmac at POS.

The reality is, there are always issues with mechanical systems run by humans. Just because you’re Trini doesn’t exempt you from the madness

Return to “Caribbean Airlines - Trinidad & Tobago”